An NRI or an OCI residing outside India wants to sell / purchase / rent out / take possession of a property located in India but unable to visit India and register the property in the Sub-registrar office shall execute the power of attorney
The principal person shall approach the respective Indian Embassy / Indian Consulate in the foreign country where he/she resides. Need to approach a Notary Public authenticated by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian Consulate present in the country where he / she resides. The foreign power of attorney (Special power of attorney or a general power of attorney) will be executed on plain papers as per requirement and Notary authentication will be made.
Post that Indian Embassy / Indian Consulate office need to be approach for attestation of foreign power of attorney along with required documents and valid identity documents. Two witnesses to sign before the authorities. If the witnesses are not present at the consulate, principal person can get their signature and notarize them.
Now post completion of attestation of foreign power of attorney by Indian Embassy/Indian Consulate, power of attorney shall be used by the executor (power of attorney) for further processing on behalf of the principal person.
With the foreign power of attorney attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian Consulate on hand, The executor shall get the Power of Attorney (POA) registered with the office of the Sub-Registrar which has the jurisdiction:
Superintendent of Stamps & Inspector General of Registration
Stamp & Registration Bhavan Sector-14, KH-5, Gandhinagar.
E-mail: [email protected]
After verifying the details in-person, the registrar will sign the respective order. Agent (power of attorney holder) and witnesses should sign the registry as well as in the advised places of the document to finish the registration.
Document require to process at Sub-registrar office
- Proof of Identity of both principal person and agent and also the witnesses (Aadhaar Card, Voter ID card, Driving Licence, etc.)
- Proof of address of both principal person and agent and also the witnesses (Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, Voter ID card, Driving Licence, etc.)
- Tax Bill & Receipt of the Property (if POA is related to some property)
- Property card
- PAN CARD
- Aadhaar card
- Original ID proof and address proof to display before the registrar
- Deed/Document to be registered
- Map of land (if asked for)
Apart from the above documents, authorities at the registration office may ask to submit additional information or documents. Please provide them for processing.
Validity of documents:
- Power of Attorney executed abroad and authenticated by an Indian Embassy should be stamped and adjudicated within three months after receipt in India.
- A POA always become null and void upon death of principal or on the expiration date specified in the document.
- A POA is valid till the purpose for which the power of attorney is granted, is accomplished.
- A POA is valid till the power of attorney is revoked / cancelled by means of a registered cancellation deed (as the power of attorney relating to the property is registered).